The University of Washington could be the largest institution to divest from fossil fuels!
On May 14th the Board of Regents are voting on two proposals. One to divest from thermal coal, and the other to divest from oil, coal and gas! The weeks before this vote are a crucial time to build support and make this happen, so we hope you will consider supporting us in any way you can. Below are some ways you can help do so:
- Contact the Board of Regents: We need the Board of Regents to know that there is support for this proposal, so what better way to let them know than to contact them. Check out their contact details here, find some talking points for coal here and for oil, coal and gas here, and reach out to them in whichever way suits you best.
- Join us at the Board of Regents meeting: The meeting is on the 14th of May and it would be great to fill the room with support. We will be holding a big rally before the meeting and then moving together to the Petersen Room. The meeting time is yet to be confirmed, but we’ll send them out as soon as we get them. In the meantime join the Facebook event and start spreading the word.
- Sign up for Public Comments: There is a public comments section at the beginning of the meeting. Sign-up opens at noon on Friday, May 8, 2015. If you can make it and give a two minute speech in support of the Divest UW proposal, then please sign on for public comments here when applications open.
- Reach out to Alumni and Faculty: We have built up great support from the student body, and now we’re asking for your help to reach out to faculty and alumni. We’ve created a petition for faculty and one for alumni.
- Social Media, Letter Sending & Support Blitz The week before the Board meeting we will be holding a blitz to show support for divestment. More details to follow shortly.
Friends, the power of the divestment movement is growing, and the UW can be the major leader that the movement has been waiting for. Let’s provide them the support to be able to do so.